Mental Health Awareness Swap

I am so happy to bring together many amazing girls to promote mental health awareness through the Go Green Accessories Swap. We all swapped green accessories have started wearing them proudly this month to celebrate Mental Health Awareness Month.

  • May has been observed as National Mental Health Awareness Month since 1949.
  • Mental health issues affect as many as one in four Americans.
  • More people die from suicide in the United States than from traffic accidents or homicides.
  • We lose 25 soldiers to suicide for every solider lost in combat.
  • Because of the stigma associated with mental illness, many people are too ashamed or embarrassed to seek the help they need for themselves or their loved ones.

This cause is so near and dear to my heart. I think about how many people’s lives could be enhanced if there was no stigma or if they had someone to encourage them to seek help and be understanding about the mental health struggles. About 57.7 million Americans suffer from a diagnosable mental disorder in a given year. Mental illnesses include, but are not limited to: depression, PTSD, panic, anxiety, OCD, social phobias, eating disorders, and some forms of stress.
We have the power to change and stop the stigma and label of “crazy.” Let’s do it! Whether you participated in the swap or not, you can support the cause by writing blog posts or using Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter to get the word out! #mentalhealthawareness #notmorestigma #gogreenswap


Are you ready to hear about my goodies? First, I sent a package of green accessories to Sara from Life and Leopard. I’m so excited I got to know her and I get support her amazing blog! Aubrey from Dreaming AboutSomeday sent me a package.




Aubrey hooked with up with a beautiful green chevron patterned infinity scarf. I can’t wait to rock it many different ways! She also sent me bracelets, Spearmint Starlight mints (my favorite!), note cards and a pen (I’m kind of obsessed with stationary), elastic silky hair ties, and a homemade key chain! I’m wearing many of these accessories today with a short sleeved green sweater!

Thanks to all the amazing women who participated. Go Green!

7 comments

  1. I love that scarf! I love the chevron pattern. I got a cute scarf too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh I SO agree. Mental health is a big issue in my family, thanks for bringing awareness to this! I cannot STAND the "crazy" label. I also worked in inner-city schools for 5 years where at least 1/3 of our kids suffered from PTSD or other mental health issues, but the resources are not in public schools to deal with these things. So horrible. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for hosting Ashley! I had a great time for a great cause!

    Sara
    Life & Leopard

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got another package on the way too! Hopefully it gets there soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for hosting! I loved my green goodies and I found an awesome new blog to read. :) Thanks for giving me such a great partner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm glad your stuff came on time. thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boo... I tried to add my link, but it's too late! Sorry for being so tardy!

    Here's the URL: http://www.thediaryofadebutante.com/2014/05/erase-stigma-surrounding-mental-illness.html

    Thanks again for hosting this AWESOME swap!

    xo,
    Stephanie
    Diary of a Debutante
    www.thediaryofadebutante.com

    ReplyDelete