Austim Awareness

Whenever possible I like to use this blog for a greater good. I love featuring real women who are making a difference! One of those real women is one of my favorite bloggers, Aubrey from Dreaming About Someday. Aubrey took it upon herself to host the Blue Polish Swap for Autism Awareness. I loved her idea so much it inspired me to host the Go Green Accessories Swap for Mental Health Awareness! Autism is a cause I can definitely get behind and I'm kind of a nail polish junky so it was perfect!


I was partnered with Kaara from In the Kitch with Kaara. Through our few e-mails I could tell she was super sweet and very down to earth. All the more reason to go and check out her blog! Kaara was an awesome swap partner. She did her homework and figured out that I love Essie nail polish. She sent me Essie's Beach Bum Blue. I was super excited because I have no other colors even close to this!



I've been rocking my nail polish since I received it and will continue to do so in support of Autism Awareness.


Autism Facts:

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) indicate that approximately 1 in 68 American children are on the autism spectrum. More specifically, it’s estimated that 1 in 42 boys, and 1 in 189 girls are diagnosed with autism in the US.

Autism is the fastest growing developmental disorder; 1,148% growth rate.

There's no laboratory or medical test for detecting autism, so doctors must rely on behavioral signs.

There is no known cure for autism, but intensive therapy helps a child learn a wide range of skills -from making eye contact to hugging to having a conversation. And the sooner a child begins, the better.

The cost of autism over the lifespan is 3.2 million dollars per person. Cost of lifelong care can be reduced by 2/3 with early diagnosis and intervention.


7 comments

  1. That is so awesome of you to raise autism awareness. That color you received is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think someone else got the same or a very similar color. love it! thanks so much for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I had no idea some of these autism facts- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yet another FABULOUS post by an awesome altruistic lady! As a former preschool teacher, I saw how seriously the disorder affects kids at an early age, and it's truly heartbreaking. Thank you for posting this!

    xo,
    Stephanie
    Diary of a Debutante
    www.thediaryofadebutante.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know that autism effected so many more boys than girls! Beautiful polish, and great cause- like usual :)

    Jen
    Jen.amileamemory@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete