The House That Built Me

Today I want everyone to meet some very special people in my life... my family members! As I've said on my "About" page, I come from a kick-ass blended family. It's taken us a bit to mesh and gel and to figure out how the blended family thing works, but I feel like we've finally hit a stride. It's true that absence make the heart grow fonder. Every single person in this crazy brood lives in Pennsylvania, except for me and my husband. Most of the time it causes  heartache, but then there are the times what I love sharing stories of Michigan!

THE HUSBAND:
Meet Nick. He is a native of Holt, Michigan. He turned 30 this June! We met when he moved to my hometown in Pennsylvania for his first job out of college and we ended up attending the same church. I'll save our love story for another post, but we had a whirlwind romance and got married on March 1, 2008. I believe that Nick is the love of my life and as cheesy as it sounds - he's my home. He  makes me laugh, makes me frustrated, makes me open up, makes me slow down in life, sometimes makes me mad, but most importantly Nick makes me feel understood and loved.


THE FUR BABY:
Scout. We adopted him on July 31, 2009 when he was 10 weeks old. He has been such an awesome addition to my little family. He's cuddly, mischievous, and always entertaining. I love him like he's a real boy!


THE PARENTS:
Jay and Jackie! My dad is an amazing man! He raised my brother, sister, and me for the majority of our lives by himself. He has taught so many lessons in life including to always work hard and to always be myself.  He's so goofy and so much fun to be around. I can say anything in front of him and we have prank wars when he visits!

It was hard figuring out what to refer to Jackie as. I don't have a relationship with my "real" mom, but I would confuse people by calling Jackie my mom. So now refer to her as "My Jackie." A special name for a special lady! She so easy to talk to and so strong in her convictions. Jackie also knows how to keep my dad in line (haha).

My dad and my Jackie together for around 10 years. I really have no idea where the last 10 years have gone!

THE OLDER BROTHER:
Brett is exactly 2 years and 1 week older than me. We shared a room from the time I was 3 until we moved into a bigger house when I was 5. At bedtime he would encourage me to say "bad" words. I would end up getting my mouth soaped after yelling them out. Brett is an amazing older brother. He has always looked out for me and always tells me he's proud of me.

Brett married Amber in April 2009. She one of the sweetest, most genuine people I know. I'm so glad she picked my brother! I couldn't imagine our family without her.

Emma was born in November 2011. She has brought so much joy to everyone in our family! She loves when I bring Uncle Nick to visit. She likes to play with him, sit on his lap, and give him hugs.



THE YOUNGER BROTHER:
This is my "step" brother Philip and his beautiful family. He is about 2 years younger than me. I love how passionate Phil is about the things he believes him. He is an amazing cook and baker! He made me a special cake with special purple icing my last visit home. What a great little bro!

Philip and Megan got married in September 2007 and soon after had Halie in August 2008. Megan is so fun to be around. She's crafty and a really great mom!

Halie is a 5 year old little spit fire. She loves showing me her dancing and I love watching.

Graham was born in May 2012. He's my first nephew and the youngest on my side of the family. Such a big boy!

THE SISTER:
My sister, Courtney, is three years younger than me. We have been getting into silly situations for as long as I can remember. We just have fun with each other! Courtney is such an amazing human being. We have become super close in adulthood and I am so thankful for that! We e-mail or text everyday - sometimes it's like we aren't even apart. She is outgoing, thoughtful, and just full of life! I wish I could be like her in so many ways. The truly believe she is the glue that holds us all together.

I wouldn't be who I am without these crazy kids. Each person in my family has a distinct personality and because of that I think we learn a lot from each other! I have loved watching this family expand and grow and thankful for the nieces and nephew who have come into my life. Through them, our love, memories, and family legacy will live on.

3 comments

  1. Ahh so fun! There is nothing better then family! xo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful family :) It's so great hearing about people that mean so much to you! What an awesome idea for a post!

    ReplyDelete