DIY Makeup Remover





This is my first DIY post on A Cute Angle. I'm not a huge Do It Yourselfer because I normally don't have the patience and my crafts usually come out looking royally crappy. However, this makeup remover was easy to make and I was very impressed with the outcome.


WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
2 cups of distilled water
2 tablespoons of baby wash
2 tablespoons of coconut oil (optional)

Container or jar
Cotton rounds, cotton balls, or durable, soft paper towels

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Stir together 2 cups of water and 2 tablespoons of baby wash until thoroughly mixed.
2. Melt 2 teaspoons of coconut oil in a pan over a hot stove. Cool slightly.
3. Stir coconut oil into water/baby wash mixture.
4. Pour mixture into Tupperware, jar, or makeup container.




baby wash


coconut oil


NOTES:
I used a lidded Tupperware container to hold the makeup remover. This comes in handy because if you choose to use the coconut oil it will separate from the soap and water. I give the solution a quick swish back and forth with the lid on and I'm ready to use it!

I use Viva paper towels to apply the makeup remover. Viva paper towels are very soft and super durable. Cutting a roll in half makes for the perfect sized makeup remover applicator. You can also use your standard cotton rounds or cotton balls.

After swishing the mixture, I saturate my paper towel, wring it out, and go to town taking my makeup off!

The coconut oil is used for moisturizing and it has been found that it can help lighten age spots and help resolve acne if used regularly. It also contains a natural SPF 4. The coconut oil is optional, but I would suggest using it in the concoction.

I love this DIY makeup remover because it's easy and CHEAP to make.  A lot of store bought makeup removing cloths can cost you a pretty penny (depending on the brand). Store bought removers often contain some pretty harsh chemicals and can be excessivley fragrant.  This Do It Yourself mixture is very easy on your skin while being very effective. It has a slight scent due to the baby wash, but it is often unnoticeable.




Separated vs. Mixed


OTHER NOTES:
I tried a version where I put the paper towels into a Tupperware and poured the mixture over/on top. Even with keeping it in an air tight container it started to stink and mold within a week (especially if it was kept in a bathroom where it gets hot and humid).




Very effective!

4 comments

  1. What a fun idea! This looks so easy and cheap! Cant wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea!
    Thanks for linkup today! Had so much fun co-hosting and getting to know new bloggers!
    http://thediaryofarealhousewife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a super awesome idea! And I'm so sad I missed the giveaway, it looked so neat :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea! I'm always trying to get away without makeup remover because it gets so expensive. This seems like a much better idea!

    Reviews Until You Drop

    ReplyDelete