10 Questions to Mark 1 Year of the Pandemic

 


// ONE // What was life like in early 2020?

Twenty twenty was really like any other year except we had a trip to Greece planned for March.

// TWO // What was the biggest change?

I mostly stayed home from work for 2.5 months despite working in healthcare. It was very strange having that much free time as an adult, but I loved it! I didn't love making dinner every night.

// THREE // What were your coping mechanisms?

I'm an introvert by nature so staying home with my husband and dog wasn't terrible for me. Binging TV shows and reading kept me busy. However, now a year on, I'm really ready to travel and my patience is wearing thin.

// FOUR // What did connection in your relationships look like?

My connections look about the same as they did pre-COVID/pre-quarantine. I live in a different state from my family so not much changed on that front, and I was used to not being able to spend time with them. Text remained our main form of communication, but we did hook up using the Houseparty app and exchanged letters and books. And I've actually been to Pennsylvania twice in the last year!

// FIVE // What will you remember most?

Feeling like I was living in a disaster movie, actually having COVID in October 2020 (and giving it to my husband), spending days home with my dog, and SLEEPING IN!

// SIX // What was the biggest challenge?

Working in healthcare has been the biggest challenge and continues to be the biggest challenge. Having to educate patients on why they need to wear masks (over mouth and nose!) and getting push back has been one of my least favorite things I've ever had to do in my job (luckily this has gotten better since the election ended). We've always had to manage not only physical, but also the mental health of patients, and the mental component has really heightened in these times. I think I'm finally starting to feel the burn out. I am so, so thankful to my coworkers for keeping me going.

// SEVEN // What was a beautiful memory?

Spending extra time with my aging pet. Visiting Pennsylvania twice to see my family. I had a lot of fun there over the summer and we were able to spend so much quality with my family and friends!

// EIGHT // What do you believe now that you didn't one year ago?

I don't think my outlook and beliefs have really changed at all in the last year. Here's what I continue to know: (1) Travel and exploration is a very, very large part of who I am. (2) If people are given an opportunity to act a fool they will. (3) Surround yourself with people who make you laugh and make you happy. (4) Nature doesn't do it for me. I like to visit museums and cities and the like.

// NINE // What would you do differently?

I wish I wouldn't have gotten COVID. We had a patient with COVID come in and then I took my mask off around my coworkers. That was a bad decision.

// TEN // What will you carry forward?

Take it one day at time. Things are constantly changing. Life is not going to go back to 'normal' any time soon. If you need a break, take a break. Mental health is important. Oh, and don't be a douche. 





3 comments

  1. Didn't know you had it - hope your recovery went well. I'm an introvert too and I don't live near my family, but it's getting to be a really long time since we've seen any family members and it's felling hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also didn't know you had it! Yes, we really can't be too careful around others. Glad you got to enjoy some free time in 2020 :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There were some silver linings to 2020 and I dont think I'll ever be able to return to working from the office 5 days a week...I liked being able to not rush everything!

    ReplyDelete