Friday Five: Christmas for a Cause

I don't think this post needs a huge, long introduction. We all know that the holidays are not only a time to connect with family and eat a bunch of yummy food, but also a time to give back. Here are five low or no cost ways to serve this holiday season.

//1// Donate your time to a local charity.

I got involved in Gilda's Club very shortly after moving to Michigan. Around the holidays I volunteer to go to local bookstores and wrap purchased items to get donations for Gilda's Club. There are so many other opportunities through the year - cooking and providing meals, raking leaves, helping with the children's area, spring cleaning at the club, and community events. Pick a charity that is close to your heart or volunteer at a soup kitchen or women's shelter.




//2// Volunteer to baby sit.

Volunteer to baby sit for a new or stressed out mom. Pick someone in your neighborhood or baby sit your nieces and nephews. Give the parents a night out or just go entertain the kids while Mom jumps in the shower and runs some errands.



//3// Create blessing bags.

Put together blessing bags for those in homeless or women's shelters. Use a quart or gallon sized bag and add as much or as little as you want. Fill your bags with hygiene products such as toothpaste, combs, deodorant, toothbrushes, bars of soap, etc. You can also add some non perishable snacks and a travel sized New Testament.




// 4 // Light 'Em Up

Join or start a Light 'Em Up Group. The purpose of Light ‘Em Up is for adults and kids to experience generosity so they will see Christmas is always about giving, not getting. Light ‘Em up shows children of every age that they can be used to impact others.



//5// Help your neighbors.

If you are already out raking your own leaves or shoveling your driveway, do your neighbors too. It will only take a little extra time and they will be appreciative they didn't have go out in the cold. You never know when you may need them for a favor!




Happy Friday!




8 comments

  1. Ashley, I love your heart! These are all such great ideas. We volunteered at the Operation Christmas Child Processing Center with my job yesterday, and it was so much fun! I love how volunteering is a blessing both to you and others! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such great ideas! We shopped for our angel tree kid earlier this week... so fun!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. All great ideas! We are buying gifts for our kids from the Salvation Army tree and then Nick and I each pick a charity to donate money to. I think I'm going with St. Jude this year! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm my sister's built in babysitter this time of year and it's I give her this "gift" year round LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all of these ideas! This is what this time of year is all about!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post! I love all of your ideas. I love that you're talking about this and look forward to putting your ideas into motion!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What amazing ideas! I'm going to do some of these with my kids this season! Thanks for sharing!

    Jen @ appledapplepancakes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all of these ideas. PS soooo much snow! I have snow envy but thats a lot!

    ReplyDelete